Bentonite Clay (Buy Now)
One of the most popular, abundant and powerful healing clays is bentonite, which is composed of naturally occurring weathered and aged volcanic ash sediments. This highly absorbent swelling clay has a high percentage of montmorillonite (at least 30%), which gives it its extraordinary powers. Bentonite draws out oil and impurities, unclogs and shrinks pores, and heals acne while tightening and toning skin. When mixed with liquid (like clean water or apple cider vinegar), bentonite swells open like a porous sponge, drawing out toxins, oil, excess sebum, bacteria and fungus through electrical attraction. Its impurity-absorbing abilities make it ideal for oily, congested and acne-prone skin types, as well as those struggling with psoriasis and eczema. Bentonite is commonly used in over-the-counter acne treatments, bath soaks, foot, body and face masks.
Colour- Usually Grey or Cream
Skin Type- Oily skin
- Rich in Calcium Carbonate
- Good for clearing acne
- Has Electric properties when mixed with water
- Acts as magnet, absorbs dirt and excess oil
- Treats Eczema & Psoriasis
Fuller’s Earth Clay A.K.A Multani Mitti Clay (Buy Now)
This sedimentary clay boasts incredible drawing, pore clearing abilities and drying properties. In fact, it’s so powerful it’s used in the automotive industry to soak up spilled oil. Fuller’s Earth Clay also has mild bleaching properties, is widely used as a skin-lightening agent and is great for reducing the appearance of dark spots and acne scars.
Colour- Brown, White, Green or Blue depending on where it is mined
Skin Type- All skin types, especially oily
- Rich in Magnesium
- Also good for clearing acne
- Great for hyper pigmentation
- Also absorbs oil and impurities
- Mixed with rose water, it helps to boost circulation
- Apply a thin layer-your skin needs to breathe when masking too.
- All clays, including the ones above can be used with water, rosewater or other beneficial substances e.g. apple cider vinegar, witch hazel and essential oils.
- You can do a mix of clays & charcoals to suit your skin type e.g. bentonite clay mixed with activated charcoal.